Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: Christmas Pancakes from Hungary
Christmas Pancakes from Hungary
Ã¢â‚¬Â¢ Prepare: 90 minutes
Ã¢â‚¬Â¢ cook/bake: 25 minutes
Ã¢â‚¬Â¢ serves: 6
3 1/2 cups whole milk
1 /4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
The cheese filling:
1 tbsp. butter
2 cups bakerÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s cheese, or 1 pint large-curd cottage cheese pressed through a fine sieve
2 eggs, separated
1 /2 cup sugar
1 tbsp. freshly grated lemon zest
1 /2 cup seedless white (some call them Ã¢â‚¬Å“goldenÃ¢â‚¬Â) raisins, soaked in hot water for 1 hour and then drained
1 cup sour cream
1. Make the palacsinta first: In a large bowl, beat eggs well. Add the milk, sugar, and vanilla. Gradually add the sifted flour, beating until you have a smooth, thin batter.
2. Heat up a small frying pan or crÃƒÂªpe pan over medium heat. Coat the pan lightly with cooking spray. Pour in enough batter to cover the pan with a very thin layer, tilting the pan with a circular wrist motion so the mixture spreads evenly. The pancakes will cook very quickly, about 30 seconds on each side. To serve six, fix 12 pancakes.
3. Now itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s time to prepare the palacsinta filling: Preheat your oven to 350Ã‚Â°F. (Do this while youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re making the pancakes.) With 1 tablespoon of butter, lightly grease an 8-inch-square ovenproof dish.
4. In a large bowl, mix the cheese, egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the sugar, the lemon zest, and raisins. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold a small portion of the egg whites into the cheese mixture, then fold in the remaining egg whites.
5. Place an equal portion of the filling on each palacsinta. Roll up the pancakes jelly roll fashion and place the rolls one next to another in the prepared dish.
6. Heat the sour cream in a small saucepan, gently stirring with a whisk until it liquefies. Pour half the sour cream over the palacsinta, then sprinkle them with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Bake for 20 minutes. Cover with the remaining sour cream, and serve at once.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)