Results 1 to 1 of 1
How to Use Google Feedburner to Increase Traffic to Your Blog
This is Part six of the Series: How to Make Best Use of Free Blogger to Increase Your Triond Earnings, and tells you why Feedburner is a great strategy to use.
By now, many of you have written articles at Triond by the hundreds. You have earned a respectable following, people would care when you pushed that ‘publish’ button. And if you think, it’s harvest time, you are right. Your hard work has to reap earnings.
But think of your loyal followers. They want to hear what you when you say it. But they cannot check your blog every now and then. And then they may have other web sites they are interested in as well.Wouldn’t it be nice if they can read all the interesting web contents at one location, without visiting each of the sites separately?
Most of the sites, and all the Triond sites have a provision for sending emails to prospective readers. At least for me, I would consider these as obtrusive to somebody’s privacy.
RSS (Rich Site Summary/Really Simple Syndication) is a concept introduced in the late 1990s to present data in an open format for data exchange to enable retrieving the latest content from the sites you are interested in. Many news-related sites, weblogs and other online publishers syndicate their content as an RSS Feed to whoever wants it. No more need to visit each site individually. No need to join each site’s email newsletter.
RSS is a special XML-based format that require software that can interpret and make it readable for humans. RSS Feed Readers and News Aggregators are softwares that allow you to grab the RSS feeds from various sites and display them. There are a number of web-based feed readers available. My Yahoo, Bloglines, and Google Reader are popular web-based feed readers.
Once you have your Feed Reader, it is a matter of finding sites that syndicate content and adding their RSS feed to the list of feeds your Feed Reader checks. Many sites display a small icon to let you know a feed is available.
Blogger’s Site Feeds
Google indexes the feed contents of blogger frequently. To make sure that your blog content appears in the Search Engine results, go to Settings|Site Feed. Select Short or Full Feeds and save Settings.
The default feed for every Blogger blog is (replace “blogname” with your blog title) :
Triond, like many other sites, provide RSS feeds.You can see the following button in your profile:
The link is of the form User_name and if your friend subscribes to this feed using Google reader, he/she can read your blogs whenever they want, along with subscription to other feeds.
Yet, the functionality of simple RSS feeds is limited. Your friend will not know when you produced your new masterpiece.
That is why Google’s Feedburner has added a host of services including email functionality and publicizing your blogs at a few selected social networks like Twitter. It also provides tools for analyzing traffic and monetizing the feeds through adsense.
FeedBurner cannot generate feeds for websites that do not currently produce them. Virtually all blogs created by systems like Blogger and TypePad create their own ’standard’ feeds which FeedBurner can locate and then use to create a FeedBurner feed.
An attractive feature of the Google Feedburner is that you vcan keep the same Feedburner address even if you move the URL of your blog
You can ping FeedBurner to update your feed immediately, instead of the automatic updation at 30 minute interval.
How I have Used Feedburner at My site: Life in Rural India
First setup a Feedburner feed if you don’t have one already. Then follow these steps:
- Go to Feedburner.com and login
- Click “My Feeds” in the upper-left-hand corner
- Select your feed from the list
- Click the “Publicize” tab
- Click “Email Subscriptions” on the left
- Make sure “Feedburner” is selected, and click “Activate”
- Copy the HTML code in the box
- Login to your Blogger.
- If you’re using Widgets in your sidebar, click the “Widgets” sub-tab. Add a “Text” widget to the sidebar you want, and paste the HTML code in the configuration section. Save your changes, and that’s it!
In a subsequent post, we will talk about dofollow and nofollow links and how with CommentLuv and Feedburner, we can get more backlinks and more comments…
You may want to read other part of the series:
- Introduction to Blogger and Adsense: How to Make Best Use of Free Blogger to Increase Your Triond Earnings
- Blogger environment and Getting Google Adsense code: How to Make Best Use of Free Blogger to Increase Your Triond Earnings: Part 2
- How to write meta tags Keyword, description and Title in your Blogger template: How to Make Best Use of Free Blogger to Increase Your Triond Earnings: Part 3
- How to write Post-level meta tags Keyword, description and Title in your Blogger template: How to Make Best Use of Free Blogger to Increase Your Triond Earnings: Part 4
- Image Optimization at Triond and Blogger and Use of Labels at Blogger: How to Make Best Use of Free Blogger to Increase Your Triond Earnings: Part 5
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)