"Flash drive write protection" error appears in Windows XP"Flash drive write protection" error appears in Windows XP
Why do I get a "The disk is write protected" error when attempting to transfer files to my USB flash drive?
NOTICE: If you are using a company computer this issue could possibly be a policy created by the IT admin of the company which may be blocking the usage of external memory devices. In this case you will need to contact your IT administrator.
This applies to Windows XP only.
If you are using a personal computer permissions in the PC may have restricted writing files to the Cruzer USB flash drive. Disabling restrictions should fix this issue.
If you are sure there are no policy settings blocking the use of external drives the issue may be registry related. In this case you can follow the steps below to try to resolve the issue.
(Advanced users only)
WARNING: Backup your registry before editing.
STEP 1 - Backup the registry
1. Unplug the USB flash drive.
2. Click Start > Run, type in regedit then click OK.
3. From the registry menu, click File, select Export.
4. Under Export range select All.
5. Name the file SNDK.reg and save it to the desktop.
STEP 2 - Disable the "Write Protect" permission in the Registry
1. On the left pane, click the "+" beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
2. Navigate to SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > StorageDevicePolicies.
3. On the right pane, right-click on WriteProtect and select Modify.
4. In the Value data field, type the number 0
5. Click OK.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)